Hall, Harold W.
Everett architect Harold Wendell Hall was born in Pullman on April 13, 1919 but grew up in Everett and attended local schools there. He received his formal architectural education at Washington State University where he was awarded as BS in architectural engineering in 1941. An excellent student, Hall served as President of the Scarab architectural fraternity (1940). Upon graduation he was drafted during WWII and became an assistant engineer in the US Army Corps of Engineers (1941-42) and then served in the US Naval Reserves rising to the rank of Lieutenant (1942-45).
After the war, Hall went to work for architect Waldo Christenson (1946-47). He then formed a short-lived partnership with architect William A. Johnson in 1948. By 1949 he had started his own independent firm in Everett.
The design of his own home in Everett (1952) brought him much attention. The dwelling was featured in a variety of local, regional and national publications such as the Seattle Times and Architectural Record.
Such press led to larger commissions such as the master plan and seven buildings for Everett Junior College (1956-67). Other notable projects include a Federal Housing project (1952) in Everett; a Poultry Processing Plant (1953) in Sunnyside; View Ridge Elementary School (1954) in Everett; Medical Dental Building (1957) in Everett; and Manito Shopping Center (1969) in Spokane.
A big boast to his business came in 1957 when Hall was awarded a contract to provide designs for twelve Safeway Stores across the Pacific Northwest. Projects included several stores in Seattle as well as designs in Olympia, Tacoma, Renton, Chehalis, Edmonds and Wenatchee. The company was pleased with the design and asked Hall to also design its main office and warehouse building (1960) in Bellevue.
With business booming, in 1961 Hall was joined by David W. Dykeman and Charles B. Ogden and the firm was renamed Hall & Dykeman. The two remained at the firm until 1967, when Dykeman and Ogden left to start their own firm.
Other notable projects include the Hawthorne Elementary School (1951) in Everett; the First National Bank of Everett – Lynwood Branch (1957); the Everett Herald Offices (1958); several Pay 'n' Save Drug Stores in Seattle's Wedgwood and University District neighborhoods, Bremerton, Everett & Aberdeen (1959-70); Seattle First National Bank’s Everett Office Building (1964); Seattle Sporting Goods Co. “Sportsland Store” (1964); Ernst Hardware Stores in Seattle, Tri-Cities, Tacoma (1966-71); and First Federal Savings & Loan branches – South Everett Branch (1969), Arlington Branch (1970) and the Federal Way Branch (1972).
Hall was heavily involved in a variety of public service activities. He served on the Everett Planning Commission from 1953 to 1959; was the State AIA Chapter Vice President (1957-59); and was the Washington State Council of Architects Chairman (1959).
Hall continued to work until his sudden death in Everett on April 2, 1976 at the young age of 56. By that time Benjamin Edwards and Darlene Gilstad had joined the firm, which by then had been renamed The Hall Associates.
- Michael C. Houser