Anderson, Einar V.
Born on January 22, 1925 Einar Vincent Anderson was a native of Seattle and graduated from Lincoln High School. Upon graduation he was drafted in to the U.S. Army and served during WWII (1943-1946) rising to the level of Sergeant. After the war, Anderson returned to Seattle and entered the University of Washington on the GI Bill. Graduating with a Bachelor’s degree in Architecture in 1951, Anderson was a gifted student and was a member of the Tau Sigma Delta architectural honorary. With a degree in hand, and a family to take care of, he established his own independent architectural practice (1952-1954) before joining the architectural firm of Steinhart, Stanley & Theriault. When Roy Stanley retired, Anderson was made partner in 1955 and the firm was renamed Steinhart, Theriault & Anderson.
Together the firm designed numerous churches, schools and community buildings scattered across the Puget Sound area. The office had a small staff of six to eight, including the partners. While they maintained a policy of “a limited volume of work with personal attention to the client’s problem,” they designed a significant number of buildings over a 30-year period.
Notable educational projects include the Northeast Senior High School (1959) in Burien; Pacific Junior High School (1960) in Des Moines; Kellogg Middle School (1962) in Shoreline; Tyee High School (1964) in SeaTac; Benson Hill Elementary (1970) in Renton; and the campus of Shoreline Community College (1964-1966).
Religious projects include the A-frame St. Paul’s Episcopal Church (1962) in Seattle at the base of Queen Anne; Glendale Evangelical Lutheran Church (1967) in Burien; Calvary Lutheran Church (1963) in Seattle's Magnolia neighborhood; and John Knox Presbyterian Church (c.1965) in Normandy Park.
The partnership is perhaps best known for the design of their Miesian-style office building (1959) in the Eastlake neighborhood (1264 Eastlake Avenue). The 40’ x 28’ steel frame architectural office cantilevers some 14’ from the hillside offering a dramatic expression to passing motorists.
Other notable projects include the Normandy Park Community Center (1960) in Normandy Park; Seattle Library Broadview Branch (1967) & Burien Branch (c. 1968); the Swedish Club (1960) in Seattle; and the 400 Shopping Arcades Building (1965) in Burien.
In a crushing blow to the partners, Anderson passed away suddenly at the age of 45 in March of 1970. Upon his death, the firm continued until 1985 and was renamed Steinhart, Theriault & Associates (1971 - 1985).
- Michael C. Houser