Berge, Gudmund Brynjulv
Born and raised in Seattle, Gudmund Brynjulv Berge graduated from the University of Washington School of Architecture in June of 1950. That same year, he received his architectural license. In 1957, he opened his owned architectural practice in partnership with Gilbert Mandeville. The firm provided both architectural and engineering services, with Berge as its lead designer and architect, and Mandeville as its registered engineer.
The firm of Mandeville & Berge is best known for its work as consulting architects for the Logan Building (1957) in downtown Seattle. The building is one of city's first International style structures designed to incorporate an exterior curtain wall system, and housed offices for the firm and a variety of other businesses.
During the 1960s, the firm recieved a variety of high profile commission such as several structures at McChord Air Force Base in Tacoma, the Alaska Exhibition Building and the Transport Building at the Seattle World's Fair (1962), the Girl Scouts Office Building in Seattle (1964), the igloo-shaped Alaska Building at the New York World's Fair (1965) and National Bank of Commerce buildings in Seattle and Mukilteo (1964).
Other notable work by the firm includes the Encyclopedia Americana Building (1960) in Seattle, the chapel and educational wing at Seattle First Presbyterian Church (1962), the Ballard Library (1963), the infamous "Sinking Ship Garage" in Pioneer Square (1965), the Bay Shore Apartments on Portage Bay, a Flight Simulator for the US Air Force in Tacoma, and a variety of buildings at McChord Air Force Base in Lakewood.
-Michael C. Houser