Walker, Bruce M.
Born and raised in Spokane, Bruce Morris Walker, began his formal architectural training at the University of Washington in 1941. However, before completing school, he was drafted into the Navy during World War II and was sent to Midshipmen school. After being released from active duty in 1947, he completed his education and received his Bachelorís degree in Architecture in June of that year. During school, Walker gained valuable experience by working for architect Bliss Moore in Seattle. Upon graduation, he returned home and went to work for a short time for architect E.J. Peterson and then for the firm of McClure & Adkison.
A gifted student, Walker continued his architectural education in Boston, and graduated with a Masterís degree from the Harvard School of Design in 1951. During school he worked for firm of Glazer & Gray in Boston, and for the Architects Collaborative. While in graduate school he won several national design competitions including first prize in a joint NAHB and Architectural Forum small house competition.
After traveling and studying in Europe on the Appleton Traveling Fellowship, Walker returned to Spokane and opened his own practice in 1952. In 1953, he formed a lasting partnership with John W. McGough. Together, the firm pushed the architectural envelope in the Inland Northwest and created many award winning projects over the next 30 plus years.
Benefiting from the post-war boom, the firm grew fast, designing many college and institutional facilities throughout the state of Washington. They also designed many residences, commercial buildings, and public facilities. Notable projects include the Joel E. Ferris II House (1954); Ridpath Motor Inn (1963); Washington Mutual Savings Bank (1964); the Kamiak Apartments (1964) in Pullman; Stephenson Residence Center, Bldg. "D" Washington State University (1967); McEachern Residence Hall, WSU (c.1972); Farm Credit Bank (197?); Spokane Opera House (1974); Central Pre-mix Concrete Co Headquarters (1980); and the Metropolitan Financial Center (1982).
With business thriving, the firm opened a Seattle branch office in 1963 with 12 employees. Projects on the west side of Cascades included the World of Commerce and Industry Building (1962) at the Seattle Worldís Fair; Kane Hall (1971) and the Plant Services building (1963) at the University of Washington; the Communications Laboratory (1977) at the Evergreen State College; and Padelford Hall (1966) at the University of Washington which received a Seattle AIA merit award.
In 1966 Walter Foltz and Robert Nixon (later replaced by Jack Lyerla) became partners in the growing firm which by the end of the year had reached 30 full time employees. In the early years of the firm, James Jacobs headed the Interior Design Department and Donald McKinley, served as the chief specifications writer.
Functioning as a full scale architectural/engineering firm throughout the 1970s and the 1980s, the firm specialized in the planning and design of justice facilities. Projects by the firm can be found throughout the United States. Notable achievements by the firm for this building type include developing the industry standard for ballistics resistance glass which is still in use today. In 1988, the firm evolved from a partnership to a professional services corporation and expanded its ownership. Today the firm is known as Integrus Architecture.
Over the years, many of the firmís projects received local and national media attention including Streit-Perham Hall at Washington State University (1961) which was featured in Pacific Architect & Builder; the Convent of the Holy Names (1967) in Progressive Architecture (National AIA Honor Award Winner 1969); the Shoshone Co. Public Safety Building (1972) in Wallace, Idaho featured in Architectural Forum; and the Washington Institute for Women (1971) in Gig Harbor which was featured in Architectural Record.
Later in life, Walker served as an adjunct architectural faculty member at the Washington State University campus in Spokane. Honoring his long term impact on the built environment in the Pacific Northwest, in March 1999, the Spokane Interdisciplinary Design Institute held a retrospective exhibit of his work. Walker passed away in Spokane in April 2005 at the age of 81.
- Michael C. Houser